Monday 13 October 2014

Week 2: Visual design

Visual design this week was continued from last week in terms of one point perspective; we were tasked with drawing 'the archway' instead of drawing the canal. I initially wasn't too concerned but when I got down there I realised that it was actually a lot more difficult than I originally expected; the archway itself actually added a whole new dynamic to the simplistic one point perspective.

Selection of some of my archway thumbnails
I found finding the horizon line and vanishing point a lot harder than I did with the canal, usually because it was obstructed by anything from the canal to the pathway behind. I didn't worry too much about detail with these thumbnails as I was more concerned about getting the perspective correct.

Looking at the rule of thirds and using it to improve composition when cropping photos
 As well as the archway one point perspective task we were also advised to look at 'the rule of thirds' in composition. I put together a (kinda messy) work sheet to just compare photos from the original to a cropped version with better composition using the photoshop crop tool which provides the lines.

Looking at the rule of thirds in master paintings

I also looked at the rule of thirds and how it was used in master paintings too, helping me work out what 'worked' and what didn't.

Life drawing sketches


I quite enjoyed the life drawing class although I still struggled with measuring with the pencil.

'Cube' made of obsidian
Digital art we needed to practice making more material cubes if we felt comfortable enough with photoshop to not listen to the talk. This task was actually more challenging than I expected as there is no direct reference for cube shaped obsidian; I had to transfer the material into this shape and make up some of the lighting etc. It took me a good while to try and make it look relatively like obsidian and I'm not completely happy with the outcome but it was definitely good practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment