Wednesday 8 October 2014

Week 1: Game production

Game production was essentially an introduction to the modelling programme 3DS Max. I have had a years worth of experience of Maya which I hoped would give me an edge on 3DSmax but I was quite horrified to find the interface was completely different!

We began by following our tutor step by step and making a basic table and accompanying chairs. I managed to grasp the gist of things but did fall behind a little and miss out a few steps. We then modelled a war hammer in a similar fashion (following step by step) but again I got caught up on one thing and missed a few steps, although I had started to get the hang of things.

Our stretch goal was to create a few low-poly weapons. I can comfortably admit that I was pretty nervous after our first lesson; I felt like I wasn't grasping the programme as quickly as I should be and thought that I was never ever going to understand it. After an evening of thinking it over I reminded myself that I felt exactly the same when I started using Maya and quickly picked that up.


This put my mind at ease and I knew I was going to have to concentrate and put in the time and effort to fully understand the programme. After a few unsuccessful weapons I came out with this hammer/mace/thing.. Not the most fantastic looking thing but I managed to grasp the basics and got something relatively okay looking out of it! With my new found knowledge I attempted a sword:


It's still not finished but I am finding myself much more comfortable with 3DS max! There's still a lot to learn but I know if I put in the extra time I will become far better at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment