Sunday 8 February 2015

Week 19:

Last week was pretty disheartening for me in terms of feedback but I was determined to improve on it and find out what I did wrong.

I think the most important advice I was given was that I didn't make enough dramatic changes between concepts which was certainly true, and that I should try to make my character look more like a main character than a NPC.

Some re-iterations on my previous final concept.
I decided to try and follow the advice and worked into my 'final concept'. I got some interesting directions that I obviously hadn't considered before.


Colour variations on the new design
Quickly moving on I started working on the colours (after I'd done some value work of course) and even started to come up with an idea in my head for the character's personality; the dress was starting to look very young so I instantly changed to the idea of 'Mayor's daughter'. I then needed a reason for her overskirt to be tied up in such a way when I figured she could be a girl who enjoys going off on walks and picking flowers, pulling up her dress like this to reveal a shorter underskirt stops the mud from ruining the hem of her dress!

Facial variations
Since I also didn't include any face stuff in my first submission I figured I should probably start working on that too. I wasn't quite sure how to work on it because I didn't particularly enjoy looking at my own face for an extended period of time...
To combat this I simply traced over a photograph of me and then worked in the colours and accessories. I felt like the flowers in her hair would give hints to the idea I had in mind for her.

My final concept
After a few tweaks I arrived at my final concept! I'm really pleased with it especially after everything. I'm still waiting on feedback so I can make sure I'm definitely and then its onto modelling.... save me.

In the spare time I've had I managed to work on something quite different; League of Legends splash art repaint:


I'm ever so pleased with the outcome; its the first painting in some time that I've actually put over 3 hours into and I feel like it really shows. Its given me the confidence boost I needed to do my own (relatively) original works more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment