Friday 8 May 2015

It's only been a week?

I find myself checking the dates of my last blog post because it feels like it's been so much longer since I last posted.

Picking up from where I left off; last week was pretty unproductive and I ended up getting stuck with art block and I was determined not to waste my time moping around not doing anything.


Study
Firstly I'll start with this study above. I've been really put off doing environments/landscapes for ages because they never turn out very well. I really didn't want to give up because I can't stand the thought of being terrible at it. Like really. So every so often I have a go at a study and see if I can do it. For a long time I was working on this study and it was looking very flat and just not right when something finally clicked, and I realised what I'd been doing wrong for SO LONG. My colours weren't de-saturating the further away they got. It was that simple. I really don't know why I just didn't get it.

Everything changed after I realised this, and I was buzzing with arty energy once more!

Male torso study
Practice
To see whether it was really true and that I had infact discovered what I was doing wrong I tried painting some more (keeping to trees for simplicity) and it still worked! Although this painting wasn't as good as I obviously wanted it to be I was overjoyed to finally see some progress in my environment pieces.

Photo study
I looked for some fairly simple photos to study because I didn't want to overwhelm myself too early, especially considering I'd only just got the hang of it.

Queen Jadis final concept.
Taking a break from environment practice I continued with my Queen Jadis/Narnia project! I really enjoyed the process and I'm rather pleased with my final outcome. I'm still debating whether I need to try and push my concepts further to get more strange and unique designs or whether I kept it quite reasonable to fit in the 'Narnia' universe? Still not quite sure yet.

Study
'Lexa' portrait

Changing things up again I thought I'd work on a quick portrait of a favourite character from the show 100. My work is still being successful!

Photo study
To finish up the week I did another photo study- still quite straight forward but its not trees!

I was so excited to have improved in my art I neglected to go into labs except once, where I sat there staring at 3DS max and getting grumpy. Considering my improvement, I'm feeling like my time will in fact be better spent working on my paintings and concepts rather than getting grumpy at 3D work. Although I realise its important to work on my 3D, when I'm in such a good mood for painting I don't think it should be wasted. Perhaps next week if I'm not feelin' 2D I'll work on 3D, but for now I'm just enjoying life non-art blocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment